Poison Response for Cats

Back to All
Health and Nutrition

If my pet eats something poisonous, what should I do?

The following article is taken from the "Purina® Animal Instincts" Podcast Series. Learn more at www.purina.com.

If your pet swallows poison, you have to decide whether to treat him at home or make a fast trip to the veterinarian, but you shouldn’t make this decision on your own.

If your pet ingests something dangerous, the first thing you should do is to call your vet or the animal poison control center. Tell them what substance your pet has swallowed, how much, and when it happened. They’ll also need to know your pet’s age, sex, and approximate weight. Then follow their instructions to the letter.

There’s a chance they’ll ask you to induce vomiting in your pet at home using hydrogen peroxide. They might also tell you to go to the veterinarian immediately. If so, hurry, but don’t panic. Take a moment to collect a sample of whatever your pet ate – it might be helpful to the vet.

– Dr. Andrea Looney, DVM